GC 41 (Day 3) Review Everything...

 Its been another long day and as a result this reflection will be short.  Major items of business accomplished included accepting with minor modification "GCE 2 – REF GS56 2012 – Simplification of Church Processes" and "GCE15 – REF GCE 59 2012 – Comprehensive Review of How The United Church of Canada Lives Faithfully in God’s World".  You can find these items here in the workbook.  Please note, there were some minor changes which will come with the minutes.  You can also hear of the business in the News Reports.

I have connected with so many who have reminded me how long I have been part of this Church: Moderators who I inspired me at Youth Forum, fellow clergy with whom I have studied and served, lay folk who were part of Presbyteries where I have served, clergy who were interns with me, Ministry Personnel who have followed me in Pastoral Charges I have left... including Larry Burton, present minister at John Wesley United Church... these kinds of encounters lead you to places of deep reflection - and to realize that as I have evolved and grown so has the Church.

Review everything.

At the end of a long day I had yet another experience that leads me to say with even more conviction that it is time to REVIEW EVERYTHING... I sat in a local pub and toasted the birthday of a friend (Shawn Redden) with whom I attended theological college.  I sat with her daughter (Breanna Redden-Kelly)... I had held this young woman Breanna in my arms in the Manse in Acme, AB and rocked her to sleep - and now as a young adult she is a Commissioner to the this 41st General Council.  Times have changed.

While I am a member of the below average group (order of ministry folk in the United Church who are under average age of United Church ministry personnel - 57 years old) the world is different.  I am different.  The Church is different.  It is time to look at how we do things in a comprehensive way and make changes that better serve the world we live in and the structures and procedures that enable our shared ministry.

Perhaps with such a review and with a vision that unites us once again to the source of our being we will be in a better place to live out the words of a hymn that so moved me this morning during our morning gathering time.  I do not know the title or author, I missed that, but I did get these words:

May we rise with all Creation
as the Spirit gives us strength
May we heed the inner wisdom
that God's loving knows no length
May we be a faith filled people
living out compassions way
May we find the heartfelt courage
to embrace the dawning day

R:  May we rise...  (sorry for the large video file...)




If anyone knows the composer/author and/or where to find it please send me an email!

On the Sabbath Road... now off to bed in preparation for a day of meeting in Commission...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for a Wild Goose Ride...

A Blanket of Humility

(Day 49) What a Sunday drive!!!!!! Truly a Sabbath experience!!!