NSW (Day 4) Hunter Valley to Sydney

This will be a brief entry.  I woke well rested to the sun falling on the grape vines outside my door but there were dark clouds on the horizon and the forecast called for rain in Sydney.

I took my time getting my breakfast (fixing were provided in the room) and then loaded the bike and suited up.  No word of a lie.  The minute I started the bike it started to rain!!!

I gamely headed out in a driving rain, refusing to put on the rain gear because it was almost 30 degrees!  I would have melted.

After an hour I'd had enough.  I took the GPS off the scenic route and headed straight for Sydney.  I was stressed worrying about traffic anyways and by this point... I just wanted off the bike.

Soon I was pulling up to Bike Round Oz and in no time the bike was unloaded and the owner had called me a cab.  $20 later and I was at the York Hotel where Peg had left a key to the room at the front desk.  The room is a nice set up... a bed and sofa bed, kitchenette and washroom with a washer and dryer!

I spent the afternoon reading and doing laundry and about 5pm Peg arrived and we spent the evening trading stories and catching up, moving downstairs to the restaurant for supper.  By 8pm Peg was in bed and by 9pm I was too... Two road weary travellers on the Sabbath Road...

Its good to be off the bike.  Its been a long trip and I've been reminded of my mortality more than enough times on this trip... I long for the safety of a familiar road, the comfort of a familiar face and voice...

The image that is fixed in my mind these days is that of the grape vines outside my room in the Hunter Valley... and the many other grape vines I saw in that area where there was delicate new growth springing forth from what to my eyes looked like ancient weather vines...

... it got me to thinking about my own life, and what has been pruned, what has been cut back and removed... and the fragile new growth that is springing forth in this 50 year old vine...

Somedays I feels pretty fragile - all that is new is tender and unsure... Other days I feel very exposed and vulnerable to all that is around... but then I remember that my roots are strong and deep.  I have the support and care of a network of friends, and the soil from which a draw my life is composed of many good memories and much gratitude... on the Sabbath Road...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for a Wild Goose Ride...

A Blanket of Humility

(Day 49) What a Sunday drive!!!!!! Truly a Sabbath experience!!!