(Day 48) On a change in location and attitude...

This morning (Saturday July 30th) was spent washing clothes and getting ready to depart Shalom Prayer Centre.  With a pending change in location comes a change in attitude...

On Friday evening I had sent out a number of requests to the Couch Surfing network with possible requests to "surf" with folk along the intended route through the high desert and, along the Interstate.  It was my intention to use this information to decide which route I would take as one of my concerns was tenting in the desert... I wasn't looking forward to the heat setting up camp or the critters that roam the desert at night...

Well, the replies started coming in on Saturday morning and before I knew it I had places to stay at my proposed first three stops through the high country... I guess I now know which way I am going: Boise, OR to Loa, UT to Cortez, CO to Limon, CO and then on through Kansas and Missouri... and... it looks like my friend Al Wallace is going to be able to join me after all for the final few days ride home.  Al has confirmed that he will meet me in Asheville, NC on the 13th of August and we will ride the Blueridge Parkway and some other scenic byways all the way home!

With the bike packed I headed northeast into the Cascades toward Eagle Creek, OR where the Alton L. Collins Retreat Centre is located.  What a beautiful drive.

Gradually agricultural land gave way to foothills and deep gorges with beautiful view of Mt. Hood in the distance.

Arriving at the Centre I was met by Todd, the Director of the Centre, and shown to my room.  What a tranquil place.  Large moss covered trees, sunlight filtering through the canopy and a deep sense of peace...

After unpacking I headed toward Sandy, the nearest town to find supper - and what I found was Calamity Jane's!

What a neat place.  The ceiling is covered in one dollar bills on which famous people have put their autograph and the burgers... well... they are huge!  The smallest you could get was 1/3 pounds and it was all I could do to finish it.  If you were really hungry you could go for the 1/2 pounder or the full pounder!!  A biker dude next to me was working on a one pounder...  it was kinda gross!

With my belly full I took some time and explored the area around Sandy, following the Oregon Trail for a while.  I could not imagine ox carts climbing some of the hills I ascended!  Wow!

Returning to the Centre I met Stan.  Stan has been on retreat for the past week and will leave today driving around the back of Mt. Hood and then going to pick up his partner at the airport in Portland as she returns from San Francisco.  Stan and I talked for about an hour - exchanging book titles, authors and other resources that we have found supportive and helpful on our respective spiritual journeys.  It was wonderful to meet you Stan and I look forward to keeping in touch.  Blessings on the journey inward to love of self - and outward to sharing love with the world.

By 11PM I was in bed, enjoying the woodland breeze drifting in through the patio door as I drifted off to sleep... on the Sabbath Road...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for a Wild Goose Ride...

A Blanket of Humility

(Day 49) What a Sunday drive!!!!!! Truly a Sabbath experience!!!